Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Psalm 61-64

If this is your first time check out the "Primer" page at the very beginning of this blog for an idea of what it's all about.

Today's psalms are 61-64. Here is a link to these 4 psalms at BibleGateway.com if you don't have a Bible handy. Please note that the version I am reading from is the New Revised Standard Version. If you are reading from another version that is fine, wonderful actually! There may simply be slight differences in the words or structure or word order.

61) vs 1- "from the end of the earth" - remember that the Temple is the house of God, so for the psalmist to call "from the end of the earth" is a huge geographical distance.
     The Rock- Battle Park on the Tar River in Rocky Mount, NC is the furthest inland on that river that American and Hickory Shad can migrate on their spawning journeys. On the curve where the river comes together there is a rock in waist deep water that allows you to stand in shin or knee deep water. From this point I could reach out far enough with my darts and spoons to the holeo n the opposite band where the shad would congregate. That was a good rock.

62) vs 4 - "Bless her heart..." 
     After all the verses teaching and declaring right and wrong and ho to live and waiting on the LORD, the last phrase seems like a zinger: for you repay to all according to their work.

63) I probably would not read past vs 8 in a worship service or something. It was so great to that point and then BAM- let the wild dogs tear apart my enemies after they have been chopped up with swords...!
     First line is the start to Step by Step, our LOGOS song.
     If I had to pick one vs to meditate on it would be vs 3: Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you.

64) Protection/Deliverance from those who plot and do evil with their words and scheming . These situations may be more relatable to some of us.

Those where my thoughts, how about yours?

2 comments:

  1. For God alone my soul waits in silence;
    from him comes my salvation.
    I’ll wait as long as he says.
    Everything I hope for comes from him,
    so why not?-
    He alone is my rock and my salvation,
    my fortress; I shall never be shaken.
    He’s always given me breathing room,
    a place to get away from it all,
    I have a lifetime pass to his safe-house,
    an open invitation as his guest.
    God has always taken me seriously,
    made me welcome among those who know and love him.
    Here I am in the place of worship, eyes open,
    drinking in God’s strength and glory.
    In his generous love I am really living at last!
    Even when I lie in bed, I remember the Lord;
    all night long I think of his love and protection,
    because he has always been my help.
    In the shadow of his wings I sing for joy.
    Because God’s steadfast love is better than life,
    my lips will praise my God.
    I will lift up my hands and call on God’s name.
    Trust in him at all times, O people;
    pour out your heart before him;
    God is a refuge for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was David always at war with others? vs. 11-12 says it all for me: One thing God has spoken, two things have I heard: that you, O God, are strong, and that you, O Lord, are loving.

    ReplyDelete