Sunday, March 8, 2015

Psalm 53-56

Here is a link to the psalms over at BibleGateway.com.

Not too much pre and post commentary from me today. Just the simple notes I've taken reading these passages:

53) How do we seek after the LORD? How are we fools denying God?

54) Much shorter prayer without many of the frills of some of the other ones. Was this a more dire circumstance? or did the psalmist just have less time to formulate ideas and prose?

55) vs 6-7 (I'm guessing...) is the foundation for Jenny's childhood prayer in Forest Gump.
Seems like this prayer could be prayed at all times for all times. Our Society has had these types of people forever.

56) With the LORD on my side, what can humankind do to me? the LORD watches over me!

What are some of your thoughts? 

2 comments:

  1. I too, like Peter, am encouraged by 56:3 “....I put my trust in you. 56:4 In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I am not afraid; what can flesh do to me?...” but troubled about my lack of wisdom when confronted with 53:2 “...God looks down from heaven on humankind to see if there are any who are wise, who seek after God....”. I seek but continue to look for the wisdom of God's will revealed while balancing the search with a trust that answers will be provided.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The footnotes explain that these are Psalms of David when fleeing from Saul.I haven't had that experience but I can take solace from some of his words..
    55- I wish I had wings like a dove. I would fly away and find rest... a pleas I think most of us have felt at some time in the midst of strife, overcommittedness, turmoil, etc.
    55:12 - If it were an enemy making fun of me I could endure it. But it is you, my companion, my collegue and close friend. We had intimate talks with each other and worshipped together in the Temple...

    ReplyDelete