Saturday, March 7, 2015

Psalm 49-52

Here is a link to BibleGateway.com for the psalms for today.

Here are my thoughts while reading psalm 49-52.

49) I like the last stanza, verses 16-20- don't worry about monetary possessions, you can't take them with you after you die. And you will die.

50) The right sacrifice to God is something from you. The world and everything in it are God's. All we have to give to God is our praise of thanksgiving.

51) Reminds me of the sinner's prayer that Jesus praises above the Pharisee's gaudy prayer in Luke 18.

52) "Give it over to God." The psalmist is trying to let go of their anger towards a person and their actions with these words. Giving something to God can be as simple as saying the mean nasty thoughts about someone to God, not the person.

What are your thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. We humans are never able to redeem ourselves. The payment for a human life is just too great. Yet God reached out and did redeem us. Christ paid the price that was just too great for us to imagine.
    No longer do I cry out as the psalmist for God to wash away my evil and cleanse me from sin. It has been done! It was finished on the cross.
    In Christ God created a apure heart within me. He will not abandon me nor take his Holy Spirit away from me.
    I will always thank God for rescuing me from the power of death and I will proclaim his great love to all people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I saw a theme running thru these 4 Psalms about what God does and doesn't want in the way of worship. Ps 49 GOd wants us to worship him in trust of Him, not in our riches or position. Ps 50 GOd doesn't need burnt offerings, but welcomes our sacrifices of thanksgiving, our honesty, and even likPses it when we come to him for deliverance in time of trouble. Ps51 God desires us to approach him in truth from the inside out. Ps 52 God hates falsehood and deception but finds joy when we praise him "in the presence of His saints."
    My prayer: Lord please help me to be a Ps 51;10 woman in my life and worship of you - one with a pure heart and a steadfast spirit, one who looks to you first in time of trouble. Amen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like what messages others find in our daily reading. Thanks for your insights, Nancy.

      Delete