Monday, March 2, 2015

Psalm 29-32

I realize that I am starting to pick out a lot of reoccurring themes in these psalms today.

Psalm 29-32 at BibleGateway.com  Note this is the NRSV

29) Experiencing storms can be very awe inspiring. From watching hurricanes blow through down in Florida, to watching a foot of snow fall last winter, to the time we camped on a plateau our west and for the first time watched a storm from such a distance that we could not hear it. Incredible stuff

30) vs 9 - another verse declaring that the psalmist is the LORD's best praiser - without him wo will praise the LORD? But here it seems more like the appropriate responce to being delivered rather than arrogance.

31) reoccurring themes: threats are described as "nets" - ensnaring someone. "Do not let me put to shame" - calling on the LORD with no response.

32) Here it sounds like confessing sin is almost equal to giving yourself over to the instruction of the LORD. Forgiveness is out with the sin and in with the proper instructions. I think we miss the second part a lot. We often think that forgiveness is the glossing over of our past sins, that may or may not equal a change in our future behavior.

4 comments:

  1. Lord,
    Be merciful for I am in trouble and filled with distress. My eyes are tired from weeping. I am completely worn out and exhausted by sorrow.
    Tears may flow in the night but joy comes in the morning because you are with me in the midst of my sorrow.
    You have changed my sorrow into a joyful dance. I will not be silent. I will sing praiseto you.
    I can't use words to aadequately define or describe you, Lord, but I know from personal experience your power and presence in my life. Amen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betsy, I have really enjoyed your psalm-istic poems and prayers. Thank you for sharing them.

      Delete
  2. I am not awed when I experience a storm. I am worried, threatened and scared. I am grateful and thankful when the storm has passed. I witness God at work as He places support and resources to those in need, yet what about those who have no where to go. They are left only with their faith, and that sustains them. May God grant me that type of faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true; most of the times I am thinking about with storms I have been inside, safe, dry and warm, away from the real danger and power of the storm. I guess it would be more accurate to say I am awed when I witness storms; where I don't have to actually experience them.

      Delete